Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Detox Day 1

For a long time I have been thinking of detoxing. I've heard it all over, heard its good for you and it will get you into good eating habits if you already don't have them. 

But what is DETOX?

From what I've read, it is the  process of cleaning and eliminating from the body, in a natural way, all toxins that can potential harm you. It helps to regulate your digestive system and immunity, as well as to identify trigger foods or food allergies. Detoxing will give you better health- fewer colds, minor illness, improve skin disorders, headaches, stomach aches, etc. Give you a more restful sleep, improve mood and inner harmony, improve your appearance- reducing bloating, toning muscles, skin becomes more hydrated, and one of my favorite, less puffiness under you eyes!-etc etc. There is so much about detox! In fewer words, IT IS GOOD FOR YOU.

Following both pregnancies I wanted to do it, but I after I researched, I found out I couldn't do it because I was breastfeeding, and  had to wait until I quit doing it because otherwise, all the toxins my body was eliminating would ended up in the breast milk. So I waited and waited, read, got lazy and somewhat coward to give up the all the goodies, like cookies, bread, chocolates, coffee, ice cream, chicken, wine, etc.

During the month of January, I got sick twice, first I got the flu and then a really bad throat infection, that I could not even swallow my own saliva! I never ever get sick, maybe a cold once a year and not even that. So after being so sick and with no energy I decided it was time. I started yesterday and it went well. All I had to do was to focus my mind into the whole detox plan prior to starting, and on day one, to really try  and not get one of those animal crackers that seat in our kitchen counter. Believe me it was not easy to see them and not grab one. What's wrong with just one I thought? Just one! NOPE! I slap my hand and left the kitchen. I'm so proud of me! :)

I started the detox program with a menu I found on this book. The book is short, easy to read, it has a shopping list, recipes, and a lot more. Right now, I'm thinking of doing it only a week, but the food is so good that I may do it for two-the menu is all the way to four weeks-; we'll see how this week ends. Also, if I begin the second week, I may change the day menu and add some of these smoothies.

So far, I feel good. I'm not hungry and I'm content. It is a little difficult to fight off temptation, but I'm focused and I know I can do it. 

This is what I ate and did yesterday:

-Before breakfast: Hot cup of water with half a lemon. ( I did this everyday of last week)

-Breakfast: Fresh Fruit Muesli.

-Lunch: Tomato and Zucchini soup.

-Snack: Handful of Brazil Nuts (This is not on the book)

-Dinner: Baked Potato (I was surprised when I read this), Broiled salmon and mixed leaf salad.

-Hot tea a couple of hours before bed (This is not on the book)

-Dry-exfoliated skin from feet to chest with these.

-Took a shower, applied lotion and went to bed.

How did I wake up this morning? Rested, very rested. I don't know if it's coincidence or maybe David slept through the night , I don't know, but I woke up feeling good.
I will keep posting the detox progress as it goes. Wish me luck, because every time I see those animal crackers, I want to open that bucket and grab one. Just one.

(picture source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...